Hypnosis for Pregnancy and Childbirth (Hypnobirthing)
Would you like to feel calm, confident and in control through your labour and childbirth?
Do you worry about losing control of your birth?
Have you had a difficult experience before or heard from others how hard it was?
Do you want to be as prepared as you can be?
Have you considered the use of hypnosis or hypnobirthing to help you prepare for labour and childbirth?
There is an increasing amount of research and anecdotal evidence to suggest that the use of hypnosis during labour and childbirth can help to achieve a calm and relaxed birth.
Having practiced as both a midwife and a nurse in maternity, I’ve worked with a number of women on their journey to motherhood. The key points that come across are:
- That they are looking forward to meeting their new baby
- That they are worrying about the prospect of a painful birth
- That they fear losing control during labour and the birth
Hypnosis is a wonderful tool that can help in these areas. Firstly, by reducing the fear and anxiety surrounding the birth and inducing calm, mums-to-be already feel in control. When you’re anxious, you produce cortisol which unfortunately prepares your body for ’fight, flight and freeze’ which can in turn delay or slow down your labour. By being able to relax, your body can concentrate on what it needs to do to help you to give birth. Anxiety also increases tension which in turn increases pain so feeling calm, relaxed and confident helps to reduce the need for pain relief.
You can also feel in control even when the circumstances of your birth change. Remember that you’ll have the right birth for you, whatever form that takes.
“One cannot help a normal physiological process. The point is not to hinder it”
Michel Odent, Obstetrician
Hypnosis can benefit both parents to relax before the birth, be supportive and confident during labour and birth and afterwards when they need time to catch up on some well-earned rest.
Whatever you need at this special time, there are a variety of ways that hypnobirthing and hypnosis can help:
- To help you feel calm and confident during labour and birth
- To reduce anxiety when preparing for a Caesarean Section
- To quit smoking in pregnancy and give your unborn baby the best possible start in life
- To deal with fears and phobias including fear of hospitals, fear of needles or fear of childbirth itself.
What are the benefits of using hypnosis to prepare for childbirth?
- Release fears prior to the birth
- Feeling calm during labour allows your body to produce the 5 effective hormones to aid a comfortable and progressive birth
- Require less pain relief
- Shorter labour
- Increase the prospect of a natural birth
- Calmer mum and baby following the birth
- Increased confidence in your abilities as parents
Although there are no guarantees with any form of therapy, there is significant evidence to suggest that hypnosis has a positive effect on the benefits listed above
How I can help:
I offer a variety of group and 1:1 classes for you to learn how to feel calm, confident and in control through your pregnancy, labour and birth. You can attend these classes anytime you feel ready to start; usually from around 24 weeks but if you’d like to come along earlier then that’s absolutely fine.
- You’ll enjoy 5 classes which may run as individual sessions or 1 x 2 hour session and a further 2 x 3.5 hour sessions
- You’ll receive 5 MP3 recordings to practise at home so that you’re fully prepared when the time comes
- You’ll receive handouts from each of the sessions
- A copy of my book, Bringing Your Baby Home – A guide to help parents enjoy those first few days
- Light refreshments
How would you prefer to learn?
I offer classes in a small group so that you’ve got time to learn, enjoy the relaxation and explore how you can use your wonderful subconscious mind to help you to achieve your desired birth as well as 1:1 classes for just mum-to-be and her birth partner if you prefer to work in a more personal way.
Is it best to attend with your birth partner or on your own?
There are some benefits to mums-to-be attending the classes with their birth partner but it’s certainly not a necessary part of learning about hypnobirthing. Do what is right for you and if you’re not sure, get in touch and we’ll have a chat.
What does hypnobirthing cost?
It depends on what you want to do but in general, classes are as follows:
Mum-to-be and birth partner for full course of 5 classes – £199
Mum-to-be only for full course of 5 classes – £175
Single refresher class for those who have done hypnobirthing before and just want a reminder of how to use hypnosis during labour and birth (2 hour session) – £80
Mum-to-be (with or without birth partner) for 1:1 classes – £299
Next Hypnobirthing Course
Mums-to-be only – Monday 3rd July 10am – 12pm, Monday 10th July 9:30am – 1pm, Monday 17th July 9:30am – 1pm followed by an end of course light lunch for those who want to stay and chat for an hour. The course will run in my home in Lower Earley. Full address given on booking. Max. 5 participants per course
Mums-to-be and birthing partner classes starting in September.
If you’d like to work with fears related to childbirth, preparation for Caesarean Section, breech birth, hyperemesis, quit smoking or anything else related to pregnancy and childbirth, please get in touch and I’ll explain how I can help.
I am a Certified Hypnotic Birthing Practitioner (CHBP) and follow the Easibirthing® Hypnosis for Childbirth method of creating calm and confident parents-to-be
Whether this is baby number 1 or number 5, hypnosis has something to offer here at my practice in Lower Earley, Reading. Just give me a call and find out how easy it can be.